Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

7-1-11

 8:00am

Went out and watered all the veggies
and fruits before the heat of the day.
Everything seems to be coming
along very well.

Yellow Wax Beans



Banana Peppers


Raspberry


Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes


Early Girl Tomatoes





 ---------------------------------------

8:25am

Woo Hoo, I was just able to send
away for another $25 Gamestop gift
card from a survey site I do.
That will make $75 in gift cards I will
have from them so far.
They don't expire so I can collect
them throughout the year.
In another 3 months I should be able
to send off for another one.
They only allow you to get this
one reward quarterly.
These sure will come in handy
at Christmas time!

----------------------------------------
10:30 - 12:30pm

I hadn't really planned on going to
yard sales today but mom called
up and wanted to go.
There wasn't very many probably
due to the holiday weekend.

Gas shot up.  Our Speedway this morning
was packed because they still had
gas for $3.35.  Everywhere else
went up to $3.65 a gallon.

My deals from yard sales-

2 bags of foam- FREE
3 packages of Christmas or craft garland.
.50 cents each.  Original price sticker
still on them for $3.99 each!
They look like they have assorted
different colored beads on them.
They do not.  Those beads are like
clear crystals and reflect the light
with different colors.
And lastly
The Slow Cooker Bible 320 pages for .50 cents


---------------------------------------

This morning I was doing up a bunch
of pots and pans from yesterday that
wouldn't fit in the dishwasher.

One hint for washing pots and pans
that have baked or dried on food
is to fill them with water and

So I thought of that hint when washing
them and decided to make my own
concotion for washing dishes.
I added a tablespoon or so of 
liquid fabric softener to my 
dish soap.  
Now I only will use this on things
that are made of metal or glass,
nothing that's porous like plastic!

I also use a couple tablespoons of
liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle
filled with water.  It makes
an excellent detangler for hair.
Or you could use it just like
Febreez's fabric and air refresher.

-----------------------------------------

1:30pm


Insight came out this afternoon to
check the cable lines.  It seems
that they will be going all digital
in the near future.  And they too, just like WOW will be charging for additional tv's that
don't have cable boxes an extra
$7.00 a month.  When the cableman
told me they were going to charge me
a $25 service fee for them to come out and 
supposedly install converter boxes
I about had a hissy fit!!

This isn't something I requested,
it is something the cable company is doing.
I should NOT be charged for them
upgrading to all digital.
I already have my monthly cable
bill that I pay that should cover it.


 When I asked what the $25 service fee
covered he said it was pretty much 
to cover gas and the Insight vehicle usage
to come to my home.  
If you ask me it is a scam and a half!!

Now picture this scenario-
Insight sets up appointments for 25 people
in my neighborhood for one day.
Let's say they cover two streets that
day.  They charge every person that service
call when that one vehicle is already 
conveniently in the neighborhood.
So that Insight person telling me that
the $25 is to cover gas for that vehicle
is absolute BS.  
Take $25 for each house and times it by 25
homes they would probably visit
within a block or two of one another.
That's $625 made by telling people this.
That Insight vehicle doesn't use no
$625 worth of gas in one day!!!!

I ain't no idiot and are onto them!


Well needless to say after after I complained
to him about it and was very upset 
he magically was able
to waive that fee!!
Well ain't that something that 
people are being taken for that
fee unless they complain about it.


---------------------------------------




While at yard sales today Jonathan
found this spigot in a box of stuff.
I asked how much and the person
told me .10 cents.  I bought it.
I know, why would I buy something
like this???

The reason-
We scrap metal.  This spigot is mostly
brass with some copper mixed in.
We have a bucket of scrap metal we
are getting ready to take to the scrap yard
in the near future.
Brass is a heavy metal and I figure this
spigot weighs around a pound.
Brass is $1.30 a pound.
So by buying a .10 cent spigot I 
will profit $1.20 from it on that
one item.
Another time I found a small roll
of copper tubing at a yard sale for .50 cents.
It's also going to the recycling scrap place.
Copper is $3.00 a pound.
So there will be a $2.50 profit
from that roll!


----------------------------------------


At my husband's work they deal with
a lot of bed bug issues.  I've had people
ask me if I knew of any hints or tips
of getting rid of them.
I have no miracle cure and cannot guarantee
anything I mention.
Here are some tips to do
it yourself because it's about
$1,500 for one treatment for 
someone to come to your home,
and even then it's not guaranteed
and most will likely come back.
A heat treatment of your home
is more likely to work than having
an exterminator come out.
But it could cost more.

1.  Dust your bedding seams, cracks
of furniture like where your bed rails
attach to head and foot boards, and around baseboards with
Diatomaceous Earth.  
Get the garden safe variety
kind NOT the kind for pools!!
It is available at Lowes for $8.97
for a 4 pound bag.  It goes a long way though.


2.  Put the green alcohol that you find
in the first aid section of your grocery store
into a spray bottle and spray
onto furniture around seam areas
where they live and breed.
Alcohol will kill them and any eggs on contact.


2.  Use a steamer, whether hand held
or one for floors, across surfaces of furniture,
bedding, pillows, mattresses and floors.
Steam is hot enough to kill bed bugs.

3.  Bag up bedding, clothes and possibly
even furniture.  Wait for a hot and sunny day.
Place these items inside a vehicle that
you won't be using that day and allow
them to "bake" in your car to destroy
any hidden bugs.  Make sure they are in
bags because even though the inside of
a vehicle can get very hot,
if you don't bag up items, bed bugs can escape
to cooler areas of your vehicle such
as inside the cracks of your seats
where it is much cooler and survive.

In order to kill bed bugs with heat,
the heat has to be 120 degrees or more.
See HERE for how hot it can
get inside a vehicle on warm days.
There are 5 pages so be sure to 
click "next" at the bottom of each
picture and description.


4.  Put clothes and bedding into
dryer.


----------------------------------








No comments:

Post a Comment