Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

7-21-11

9:25am

Looked out the kitchen window
and saw 3 bunnies running
around the backyard this morning.
As long as they are in the middle of
the yard and not in my veggies
I don't have a problem with them.
There is also a basin of water
out underneath the pine tree
for any critters like bunnies, squirrels
or wild cats that may need a drink
in this heat.  I have seen the squirrels
and cats drink from it.
The birds have been flocking to the
birdbath for water as well this week.

----------------------------------

Today is gonna be sweltering hot out!!
I have the air condition on 74 degrees
and have two pole fans running
in the living room to keep it feeling
cool in here.


Last night I got the kids two rented movies
from the Blockbuster Express machine.
I had a coupon from Speedway for
rent one get another rental free.
So $1.00 for 2 movies.
They picked out,
Unstoppable and Diary of a Wimpy Kid,
Rodrick Rules.
Something to keep them entertained today
even though they've seen both these movies before.
So if you are in Speedway be sure
to use your Speedway card because
they sometimes give out these
printed coupons.


-----------------------------------


10:00am


81 degrees but feels like 86.
This is from WCMH 4.
Weather.com isn't working
for the temperatures in our
zip code at the moment.

Normal temperature is 86 degrees for today.
The highest temperature on record
is 106 degrees in 1934.
Normal low is 65 degrees.
Record low is 48 degrees in 1970.


-------------------------------


10:30am


Went out and washed out and
refilled the bird bath and water bowl.
I also picked some banana peppers.
This is the third time I've gotten
peppers from these plants this year
and there is still more blooms and
more baby banana peppers.
There wasn't any more tomatoes
ready for picking :0(
Trying to get enough fresh tomatoes
together to make some salsa.
 Plants after picking three times already.



I was also thinking about making
some stuffed banana peppers.


Spread some cream cheese mixed
with some shredded cheddar cheese
and diced up onion if desired
onto a slice of ham, roll up tightly.
Hollow out the insides of the peppers
and insert the rolled up ham, cut down
to fit if needed.  Bake.


Or mix up some softened cream
cheese with a little ranch dressing
and shredded cheddar cheese and
some bacon crumbles or bits.
Slice peppers in half and remove seeds.
Fill with cream cheese mix, top with
some sliced cherry tomatoes & bake.


--------------------------------


10:45am


Weather.com is working again
and I wanted to note that for our area
it is 87 degrees but feels like 97!
It's not even 11am yet and feels this hot!
Don't look forward to this afternoon!


-------------------------------


11:15am


Decided to hang up some towels over
the one side window in the dining room.
This window only has a blind covering
it which is still allowing the bright
sunlight in.
Not the prettiest but it makes the
room darker and cooler.
I used clothes pins to hang it up.
I also did a couple other windows
this way.  The darker it is in your home
the cooler it will be.

Another time when we lived in an apartment
with direct sunlight and we were an
end unit and it got to around 100 degrees
I put aluminum foil up in the windows
to reflect the sun.


It's 90 degrees and feels like 102
before noon!!!!!!!!


-----------------------------


1:30pm


Haven't been doing much of anything
except trying to stay cool.
Kids are watching one of their movies.

Look and see how dark our living room
is today with a blanket over the window.
Makes it pretty nice in here especially
to watch movies in the dark like
the theater with the surround on.

It's 94 and feels like 104 out.


-----------------------------------


2:30pm


Just for the heck of it I got out a
candy thermometer and put it in the
dash of the Suburban.  In about 1 minute
the temperature shot up to almost 127 degrees.
I'm going to check back in 15 minutes.
This black vehicle is 1/4 of the way sitting in the sun
and all windows are up.
In just 15 minutes the temperature
rose up to almost 175 degrees.
You know what I found disturbing?
My neighbor caddy corner from
us is allowing his kids to play outside today
in this heat!  He has no shade trees.
And to top it off the kids
are wearing pants and one has
a long sleeve shirt on with those pants!  
I saw them when I 
went out to check the heat in the truck.
I don't see any other kids or person
outside today along the streets.


-----------------------------------


4:15pm


95 out but feels like 105 degrees!!!!!!


Got supper started.  
Boiling up 3 cheesy hashbrown
betty crocker helpers in the pan.
Then in another skillet I'll fry
up some ground maple sausage. 
Once done I'll mix the sausage into
the potatoes and top with some
shredded cheddar cheese.
Serve with bread & butter.


Thinking about making some different
kinds of frozen treats.


Tropical Fruit Sorbet
Something I just threw together.
Made 36 ounces.
1 can tropical fruit
1/4 frozen can lemonade
1-2 cups water
cool whip
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup Splenda


Puree everything in a food
processor or blender.

I only had about a cup of cool whip
that was leftover from other desserts.


Ice Milk


4 cups milk
1 cup sugar (I'm gonna use Splenda)
1 tsp. vanilla


Combine everything in bowl
and stir til sugar is dissolved.
Pour into tupperware type bowls
and put into freezer.  Stir every
2-4 hours so ice crystals don't form.
Freeze for a total of 8 hours
or overnight before serving.

------------------------------------


4:55pm


95 degrees out and feels like 106!!!
I had a couple kids come to the door
asking if they could borrow our bicycle
ramp so they could take it over to
the church parking lot and use.
I said absolutely not with the
temperatures we have and 
especially in a black top paved 
parking lot!!
And let me add one was wearing jeans
and both was wearing black bottoms
and tops!


---------------------------------


5:15pm


Was reading the news on WCMH4.com
and saw it the temp is now 97
and feels like 107 degrees out!!!!

When Tony came home and opened
up the door to come in the air temp in here
went up to 77 degrees.
The air condition is set at 74.
So it doesn't take long for it to rise
once a door has been opened.


I know I've been writing a lot about
the temperatures.  Just want to document
them as something to look back upon.
Like when it's -20 degrees out, lol.


----------------------------------


6:30pm


I need few things from the store.
Think we'll wait til about 8:30pm
before going.
Plus we have to return the movies
we rented yesterday.  I have a list of free
codes for Blockbuster Express
movie rentals so might look into
getting more movies for the boys
for tomorrow.  We'll see if any of
these codes work since I have not
tried them before.


---------------------------------


Air conditioner keeps running non stop.
I have it set at 74 and it doesn't seem
to want to come off the inside temp of 77
so I just adjusted the air conditioner
and set it to 77 to keep it from running 
non stop.
Can't wait to see next month's
electric bill!  Gonna be scared
to open it when it comes.


----------------------------


More efficient air conditioning-

Make sure the area around
your air conditioner is free
and clear of leaves and plants.

Here is our air conditioner-

Now a couple feet away is our
neighbor's air conditioner
identical to ours.  His air conditioner
has to work harder with all the
debris and weeds around it.
Not good!


 Make sure registers are not
blocked by furniture.
I place fans near registers
to help blow the cool air out
towards the middle of the room.
We also try to keep fan blades
clean by washing the blades and
front and backs of the fan off
of any dust or dirt.  You could
give the blades a coat of car wax on them.
I just found this little fan in our basement
and it appears it needs a good cleaning.

-----------------------------------


8:15pm


92 feels like 103 degrees out.
My neighbor and his kids caddy corner from us.  Why in the h-e double hockey
stick would he allow his kids outside
dressed in Fall or Winter attire when
he himself is wearing shorts and
a muscle shirt????
Heck just the other day his
3 year old son was running around
with Winter boots on playing outside in them.
I do know when we go diving
during college move out time
I will be looking for clothes
for these little girls, hopefully
I'll find them some shorts and t-shirts
or little dresses!!
Most of the clothes I find are size
0-4 in young womens anyway so they might fit.
Maybe give them a bag of pony tail
holders!!  I have a bunch!!
I already donated to him a new bottle
of Murphy's Oil Soap so
he could clean his floors.
He currently isn't working a whole
lot and has lost his one truck
driving run to Georgia about 4 times a week.  
So now he sits and waits
for anything that he can go out on.
I thing I've seen him make 3 runs
in a couple months!
So even though some neighbors are so
annoying to others you still have to
look out for the kids and them!
And if I can find freebies for those
kids I will!
Do unto others as you would have
them do to you!


------------------------------------


Went to Kroger this evening.
Got some more of the free candy
with my coupons.
So loving the coupons at the moment!
Wouldn't you after seeing
my FREE candy stash below!
There was actually about 12 more
but those have been eaten between
3-4 of us in the past couple of weeks.
I used to have a stash like this
around Easter from FREE Cadbury
Eggs and Reeses Eggs.
I still have coupons left, enough
to get 2 more Crunch bars
and 28 more Starburst or Skittles which
are not on sale this week
so will wait and see if they go back
on sale before the end of the month.


We dropped off the movies we rented
and got two more-
Furry Vengeance and Gnomeo and Juliet.
I got one of the codes to work
to give me a free $1.00 movie.
Code- 86EHJR3
I think it's good til 7-22


------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment