Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

6-6-11

8:30am

I got another cupcake submitted this morning.
I started on it last night before bed 
and finished it this morning.
I have 18 entries now in the contest.
I used ridged potato chips
for the wings and tail.
They are covered in melted white chocolate.
Jelly bean feathers on top of cupcake
and around bottom for water.

-----------------------------------

8:45am


Kids decided to go for a swim
first thing this morning.
More power to them as I 
know that water is ice cold!!!




---------------------------------------


I've been trying to stock up on 
$1.00 sales when I find them.
Yesterday at Kroger I got a dozen eggs for $1.00
(these usually run over $2.00 at regular price)
then found some smoked sausage for
$1.00 each and picked up 4 packages
for the freezer. (these run almost $3.00 when
not on sale) We also found
gallons of milk marked down to $1.89.
Got 2 of those.  Milk has been
around $2.50- $2.79 not on sale.


I want to head to Aldis in the near future
and buy a bunch of the 1 pound sausage
rolls for around $1.19.
Much cheaper than hamburger or
ground sausage and healthier for you too.
I don't care much for turkey burgers
but it's not too bad when mixed
into casseroles, hash, soups, chili,
spaghetti sauces and hamburger helper.
I once made sloppy joes with it
for a potluck for my hubby's work
and no one could tell it wasn't
hamburger or sausage!


This week I plan to make some
salads for meals since the
weather will be so hot.


Do not buy the bagged salads.
Even a dollar bag on sale doesn't
give you much.  I bought a head
of lettuce for $1.00 and should
get a couple meal salads out of it.


I plan to make chef salad for supper tonight.

1/2 head of lettuce .50 cents
4-5 hard boiled eggs .32 cents
2 pkgs chipped meats $1.18
(ham & turkey)
1 cup shredded cheese .83 cents
salad dressing .25 cents


Total: $3.08
serves 5 for a meal @ .61 cents a serving.



-----------------------------


Tuna Pasta Salad


1 box rainbow twist pasta $1.00
1 large can tuna fish .70 cents
mayo .25 cents
dry ranch mix .69 cents
can diced tomatoes .69 cents
1 cup shredded cheese .83 cents
chopped celery & onion .25 cents


Total: $4.41
makes 5 servings @ .88 cents a serving


----------------------------------


10:30am


Going to go take a Mucinex.  
My head still is clogged and
I keep blowing my nose.
It's been between 3 weeks now
with pneumonia and this 
sinus congestion!  


I might start on the closets today
putting all the Winter clothes away
in totes and hanging up all the
Summer clothes.
It's a task in itself and with the
way I feel we'll see how far I 
get with doing 3 closets
for 4 people.  


--------------------------------


I got this set of Tech Deck skaters
for Jonathan last weekend at
a yard sale for $2.00 for all.
I got these to add to his collection
I got him last year.
 

 ------------------------------------

4:00pm

Well I got one closet almost done
and working on another with
switching clothes around.
Also weeding out any ones
that are outgrown, stained
or just worn out.


----------------------------------


I was reading the newest Cosmoplitan
magazine, free subscription of course :0)
when I came across this recipe
that sounded yummy to try.
It didn't have a name so I'll just
call it Maple Bacon Popcorn.


4 strips of bacon
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup popping corn
1/4 cup maple syrup
salt, as needed


Cook the bacon in frying pan over low heat,
15 minutes per side.
Transfer onto a paper towel, reserving
the remaining fat.  Wait til bacon
is cool, then crumble, and set aside.


Pour bacon fat into a 3 quart sauce
pan with a tight lid, heat on high, and
pour in the corn.
Shake the pan.
Once it starts to pop quickly, lower
the heat to medium until the popcorn
is pushing at the cover.  Turn to low heat,
and let remaining kernels cook.


Melt butter in the microwave.  Pour
the popcorn into a bowl, drizzle with
the maple syrup and butter, add the
bacon, and sprinkle salt to taste.


---------------------------------------


This evening I took everyone out
to get ice cream.
McDonalds has ice cream cones
for .59 cents this Summer.


Other cheap treats include-
McDonalds hot fudge sundae for $1.00
or Speedway has slushies or fountain
drinks any size up to 44 ounces for
.89 cents.  
When you use your Speedy Rewards card-
-for every 6 speedy freeze, coffee, iced tea
or fountain drinks you buy you'll get
the 7th one free.
-buy 6 Mountain Dew, Pepsi & Coke 20 oz and
get the 7th free.  Has to be 6 of the same brand
to receive the 7th free.
These do not have to be in one transaction
purchase.  Your card will keep track
of how many purchased and when you
use it to purchase the 6th drink
you will get a free coupon.


------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment