Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

6-11-11

9:15am

I have a package of catfish nuggets that
I need to use up today so was searching
for a recipe for them.
I came across a recipe for 
Catfish Cake which are similar to
crab cakes.

Catfish Cakes
It calls for a pound of catfish fillets
but I'm going to use the nugget pieces instead.

Place fish in a saucepan with enough
water to cover them.  Boil until fish
flakes easily with fork.  Drain off water
and mash fish with a fork.
Stir in one medium onion chopped,
1 teaspoon yellow mustard, 
1 tablespoon mayo,
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning,
(or whatever seasoning you may have)
2 1/2 cups crushed round butter crackers
and 1 egg.
Mix until evenly blended.
Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in skillet
over medium-high heat.  
Form the fish mixture into patties.
Fry in hot oil.
Drain fish patties on paper towels.

I have some red wine vinegar that I might
add a splash to the water when boiling the fish.

My hubby finds all kinds of foods
that residents leave behind in apartments
after they move out.  And that's how
I ended up with red wine vinegar.
Something I'd probably never buy
but now that I got it free I will
find ways to use it up.

When in Kroger I always browse the
marked down areas.  Most meats
I buy are from the marked down area.
Marked down meats aren't always
in the manager special area so be
sure to check others areas like
sausages, packaged chipped meats
(like bologna, lunchables & ham slices),
bacon and the seafood department.


------------------------------------


10:00pm

It's been a busy day.
Got the yard cut and Tony weed
whipped it. Took the kids to Taco Bell for
lunch and then we stopped in Walmart.
Spent what I thought was a fortune there
and still trying to recoop from that but what
can ya do.  We bought a pedestal oscillating fan ($38), a couple bed pillows ($2.50 each), 
inkjet printer ($29) along with
2 pool filters ($10), pool chemicals ($6), 2 pairs
of goggles ($16) and a couple food items.

Did ya see that I got a new printer?
I make sure to buy a basic one
where I can refill the ink cartridges.
Some of the all in one printers
have a computer chip in the ink cartridges
and it won't allow you to refill them!
Once my printer won't take any
more of the refills (it gets a mind of it's own
and the ink dries up) I go out and get a new
printer about once every year or two.
I find refill ink at Big Lots for around $8.
I can refill my cartridges about 6-8 times roughly
with the refill kit.
I set my printer to print basic prints
because that's all I need to print coupons.
Plus I get more use out of one refill that way.
New printer cartridges would cost me
more than what I paid for the printer!
Black ink costs $15 new
and color costs $21.
So it would cost me $36 to buy
2 new ink cartridges.
I refill and print til the ink
cartridges give out and I can't refill them
any more then I buy another
printer.
I haven't printed coupons in awhile now
and need to start back up so I don't
miss out on all the good deals!!
My freezers are stocked but the pantry
is dwindling some.


Around 8:30pm this evening I hurried
and got the food pantry sign done for mom.
Nothing like doing something last minute.
I wanted her to have it when she goes
to church tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment