Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

6-28-11


One of my kids has a rash of some
sort on their cheek.  
Not sure what it is though.
Don't know if it is poison ivy
because it isn't blistered.
It does itch though so last night
I started the first go round of
a homemade treatment of grinding
up oatmeal real fine in the food
processor.  I then added some to
a bowl with some hot water
and applied this paste to his face
with a really soft brush and allowed
it to dry.

Other things you could do to treat
an allergic plant reaction:
-a paste of baking soda & water.
-vinegar on rash.
-rub insides of banana peel on rash.
-dish washing liquid because it has
anti-grease agents to help draw out
the poison.
-baths with baking soda or oatmeal.
Put ground up oatmeal into a sock.
Tie the top off.  When taking a bath
squeeze the sock into the water.

---------------------------------------------

9:00am

I've been in the bathroom
trying to finish painting it.
Paint is still wet in the photo.
Still have over the sink mirror,
which requires standing on the sink,
and around the toilet, not
my favorite parts to do.
I have carpal tunnel so have to
paint a little at a time due
to hands going numb.
I don't have a paint roller
so all paint is going on with brushes!
Before
After


Before
After


-------------------------------


We might be in the market for
a new mattress for our bed.
Starting next week Big Lots is
having a sale on their Serta mattresses.
They are marking them down
$20 to $120.
Queen mattresses run $179 to $299
after mark downs.
I don't know where else to look
for a cheap new mattress.
We've had ours for 6 years
and it was given to us by my brother
who had it for I don't know how many
years.  I think it's time for another one.
I read that the average mattress
lasts 7-10 years before it loses it's
comfort and support.  Maybe more now
with the newer mattresses.
Some of us aren't that lucky to be
able to replace one that often.
Ours now has a double sided mattress topper.
So every 6 months we're flipping and
flopping this thing which is a pain in the rear
to do in our small bedroom.
These newer mattresses don't require flipping
and now have fireblocker on them
so they don't burn as fast in case of a fire.
I hate spending that kind of money
but will bite my lip and do what
we gotta do.  I'm tired of us waking
up with backaches!
But I have to research them first.
It's just like buying a car.
I want something that will last
a little while with little maintenance.


I learn something new every day so thought
I would pass this onto you.

Mattress Naming:
-Generally the further into the alphabet you go with mattress names, the better quality and comfort you get. For example mattress model names of the same brand starting with “V” are better than mattress models of the same brand starting with the “B.” However, just because a mattress has a letter like “S” does not mean it is more comfortable to you. A notable naming exception is the Stearns & Foster Plaza Hotel line for Sleepy’s in comparison to other S&F beds. Treat the “Plaza” line like its own brand.
-Generally the first letter of the model name is the same across different stores.
-Generally mattresses further into the alphabet are softer and have more/thicker layers.



----------------------------------


My $3.00, yard sale find, solar fountain.
I want to find some small rocks
to put around the outside of the fountain
along the edges.
The stronger the sun shines,
the higher the fountain goes.
It came with 3 different innerchangable
spout heads.
Head #1
Head #2
Head #3




-----------------------------------------


10:50am



Compound W Freeze Off ...
So as if my one child doesn't have enough
problems with the rash on his face,
he also has what appears to be
a wart on the palm of his hand.
You don't get warts from frogs
like the old wives tail!
Warts are a virus that enters through
cracked or cut skin.


I bought some CompoundW's
Freeze Off for warts.
I think it was around $13 at Walmart.
It says there is enough in the bottle
to do 8 treatments so that's $1.62 per wart
removal.  Cheaper than a doctor's visit
if it works.  You attach
a swab thingy majigger to the end of
the aerosol can and and press for 2 seconds.
Then take the swab and apply it on
top of the wart for up to 20 seconds.
It freezes the wart.  But it takes 
10-14 days for it to fall off.
So we'll see how well this money was spent.

Oh I also got me another hair color
from Walmart last night.
For some reason you couldn't
even tell I colored my hair 
the last time I did it.
So this time around I went
with a lighter blond.
I might do that later on today or tomorrow.


----------------------------------

11:50am

I got my 4 lower cabinets cleaned
up and weeded out.
I had an empty box laying around
so decided to fill it up with crap
to get out of here. 
Taking a break for a moment
then will fix some lunch.


--------------------------------


1:00pm


Put a pork shoulder blade roast
in the crock with a can of
cream of chicken soup, some water
and salt & pepper.
Will have with some boiled up potatoes.
Use the soup as a gravy
and a side of homemade broccoli salad.



-------------------------------


Freebies gotten off the internet today-


-free year's subscription to Super Chevy.

-free year's subscription to Popular Science
Just enter some bogus job title! 

-Free coupon by snail mail
for a bottle of Pantene Shampoo or conditioner
up to $4.99.  You have to like them on
Facebook.

-Get 2 free DVD rentals at your local Blockbuster Express! Simply use codes 26KBDJ5 and 25NCRP6. Expires 7/4/11 at midnight.
plus .75 cents coupon.

-Free year's subscription to ESPN.


Tip- to sign up for offers like
these make up a couple different
emails for things just like this so
you don't get spam or junk mail.

------------------------------------


5:40pm


Supper


Broccoli Salad


2-3 heads of broccoli cut up
2/3 cup mayo
tsp or so of splenda
tsp or so of red wine vinegar
about 1/4 cup chopped onion
parmesan cheese
shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper


Removed pot roast from
crock and set on a plate to let it
rest before cutting.
I then added some cornstarch
mixed with a lil water and
added it to the soup
in the crock to thicken for the gravy.


In another pan I beat up the
potatoes with butter, milk
and salt.  I didn't have enough potatoes
so found a packet of sweet
mashed potatoes and threw them
in there as well.
Shhh, the kids think it's
cheesy mashed potatoes, lol.


--------------------------------------


This evening we stopped in the newest
Turkey Hill not far from here that just
opened up.  I can't say I've been in a Turkey Hill
gas station that is a convenience store also.
The only ones I've been to looked like
a little shack with a man behind the window
taking your money for gas.
It was weird seeing most merchandise
was Kroger brand.  I had a hankering
for a Little Debbie or Hostess cupcake.
You won't find one in that store.
But hey I did find my favorite Kroger
brand cookies.
The best part of this convenience store
was that it didn't have convenience store
mark ups.  It had the same prices
as the regular store.  
They carry fountain drinks and
slushies as well.  .79 cents for a 32 ounce.
They also have a deli type area with
subs and sandwiches and even rotiserri
chickens.
Gas was $3.14.  It's slowly coming down.
By shopping at Kroger I qualify to get
.10 cents off per gallon.

My whole idea of going to Kroger
tonight was to stop by the Red Box
machine.  When I signed up with
my email they sent me an email
with a code for a free movie.
I got Social Network, it's about
how Facebook got started.



No comments:

Post a Comment