Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

6-14-11

8:25am

Sitting here sketching out yet
another idea for a cupcake for the contest.
Got less than a month to get any
more entries in.

------------------------------

Here's an idea I found for
container gardening from The Mother Earth News.
Line round clothes baskets with plain old "Hefty type" trash bags, and then fill the bottom of each with two inches of coarse gravel for drainage. On top of that place a layer of newspaper to keep the soil from washing down into the stones.
Then add the growing medium itself. Gardening books call for a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, loam, and sand . . . and advise that rotted manure, leaves, grass clippings, and
other well-shredded vegetation can also be mixed in. We, however, simply used three parts slightly sandy (and rocky) soil from an empty field, combined with one part grass clippings. Judging from the way our plants thrived, I'd say just about any reasonably rich blend of natural materials that's light and loose enough to provide good aeration will work OK.
Finally, we poked a few small holes in the base of the lined containers to allow extra drainage, and placed stakes in the baskets in which we intended to grow tomatoes and peas. 

-------------------------------------------

1:15pm

Just returned from mom taking
us all out to Fazolis for lunch.

Since I've returned home I threw
some supper in the crock pot.

Slow Cooker Sausage
on Buns
double batch


2 pkgs Italian sausage $2.00
1 can four cheese spaghetti sauce $1.00
1/2 orange bell pepper .75 cents
1/2 large onion chopped into large pieces
.25 cents
1/2 pkg sliced mushroom .49 cents

I sliced each rope sausage into thirds
then sliced in half again lengthwise.
Put all ingredients in crock
and give a stir to coat everything.
Cook on low for 3 hours or so.
Once done spoon onto hot dog buns. 

I have 4 potatoes (.80 cents) that need used up
so will cook those in the microwave
and serve with the sausage.
Top with butter and potato
seasoning ($1.19).


Total cost $6.48
Makes 8 servings @ .81 cents a serving.
I made enough for supper today
and for everyone's lunch tomorrow.

1:25pm

Time to go change the last load
of laundry over and hang up
what is done.  I didn't get all 
my laundry done yesterday as planned.

-------------------------------


2:00pm


Got 3 more batches of mini,
regular and jumbo cupcakes in the oven.
I make up a bunch at a time to use
to make cupcakes for the contest
but sometimes they seem to disappear
mysteriously and I have to make more.


------------------------------

3:25pm

I made up 10 gallons of homemade
laundry soap.


 I made it a little different this time.
I used a small bottle of Tide
and divided it up between 2 five
gallon buckets.  Then shredded
a half bar of Zote soap mixed with water
and melted in a pan over the stove
for each bucket.  Then in each bucket
I added 1 cup Borax and 
1 cup washing soda.


I added the Tide this time around
because I wanted a little more washing
power for clothes that are really
dirty with boys playing outside.
For things like grass stains, mud,
dirt, bicycle grease, and whatever
hubby manages to get on his
clothes at work.


I made one bucket for mom
and one for myself.
Each bucket should last about 6 months
so 12 months for 10 gallons. 
And I figured it probably cost
around $5.50 to make per bucket.
.91 cents a month to use
or .23 cents a week.
That's with me doing an average of
4-5 loads of laundry a week.


---------------------------------


4:30pm


Decided to go out and clean the gutters
on the backside of the house.
I just don't think there's supposed to
be baby trees growing out of them, lol.
It was nasty!
Time to go clean up since hubby
will be home soon.
Then we'll eat and are heading out
to Blacklick tonight to visit 
one of our friends.

----------------------------------------


5:15pm


Supper time.
Mmmm, mmm, mmm, mmm!
Ya know those sausages you buy
at the fair with all the fixins?
Well this tastes just as good as those.
The only difference,
you have to eat it with a fork!
I think next time I need to make
something for a potluck I'll make this.


I didn't end up doing the baked potatoes
tonight.  This was very filling by itself.
You could also serve this over
rice instead of hot dog buns.


-------------------------------


9:00pm


Got all lunches made for tomorrow.
I cooked up a pot of rice
to put the sausage and sauce over.
Whelp I'm gonna get ready for bed.
With no naps during the day
because of the kids out of school
I feel tired earlier and earlier each night.


Nighty night.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment