Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

5-18-11

8:45am

I found this video to make
an 8 minute potholder on your
sewing machine.  Of course that
didn't include the time it took to
cut out squares.  They used a heat proof
fabric.  Me, personally, to cut back on
expense, would use batting or an old
blanket for the inside.




----------------------------------------

I'm feeling a little better today.
No dizzy spells or hot flashes yet.
Still got the froggy voice though.
Last night I think I turned into
bed around 7pm and cuddled
up with an electric blanket.


The kids don't have school today.
Tomorrow Christopher will
go with Tony to work for 
the Take Your Child To Work Day.



It looks like Friday and Saturday

we should be without rain with
temps of 75 & 78 degrees.
That will be nice so I can get
a day of yard sales in and a day
for us to mow grass and get my tomato
cage up.
My sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
are already starting to topple over
due to their height.


I have a roll of rabbit fencing
and Tony found a roll of chicken
wire at work.  


Since my tomatoes are planted
all in a straight line I thought about
making one long continuous cage for them.
I'll put metal or wooden posts on the four corners,
a couple more if needed in the middle,
of the tomato garden then wrap
the fencing around all the tomato
plants as close as possible in
one large rectangular cage.
If need be I could cut chicken wire
and put in between each plant and
attach to the sides of the rabbit fence
with zip strips for more added support.
And if need be I could

add a second story of fence if the plants
get too tall.  

 I was researching some of my plants
so are taking notes about how
to grow them.

Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
produce lots of clusters of tomatoes.
They take 68 days til harvest.
Tomato plants were used back in the
16th and 17th century for ornamental
use only.  It wasn't until the first half
of the 18th century that they started
using them for food.
With tomatoes you can eat fresh, canned,
stewed or sun-dried.
They produce until frost takes over.

Early Girls are my other tomato plants.
They are the earliest tomato plant you can
grow.  They only take 52-54 days til harvest time
and produce 5 ounce tomatoes.
They are disease resistant
and last longer than most other early tomatoes.

To protect your tomatoes from birds
you can insert the tomatoes on the plant
into an old nylon stocking and
secure with a twist tie.


My banana peppers take 70 days til harvest
and are easy to grow.
Great for pickling.


Garden pole beans take 60 days til harvest.
It is disease resistant.
They need a trellis about 6 feet tall
to grow upon.


Cherokee Wax Garden Bean-
Weather tolerant.
55 days til harvest.


Henderson Lima Bush Bean-
65 days til harvest.
Can dry beans.

To keep birds out of fruit shrubs
you will need some type of netting.
I have a large roll of tulle that I could use
when they become established with fruit.
Or I have old screen netting from
an outdoor gazebo type tent that I could use.


-------------------------------------


I need to start making some freezer
breakfasts instead of buying convenient
foods.  So here are some ideas
of things I would like to make.

Ham & Cheese Breakfast Pockets
You could probably use any filling
you wanted.  These are made
with Grands biscuits.


Bake ahead of time.
Cut into slices and
put individual servings
into freezer bags or containers.
How to Make a Breakfast Pizza


Freezer Breakfast Burrito


Freezer Breakfast Burrito


-------------
You could make mini omletes
or freeze baked eggs for sandwiches.
Grease a muffin tin.
In a bowl beat together eggs, milk,
seasoning and any meat and veggie you wish
to add or leave plain.
Bake in muffin tin til done.
Makes the perfect size to put
on roll, bagel or muffin sandwiches.
If you don't have the space for
freezing whole sandwiches
then just freeze the egg part in the tins.
Once frozen, remove from tins
and put in a freezer bag and return
to freezer til needed.

Or how about placing a piece
of sliced ham into a muffin tin
and the topping it with the egg
mixture and baking it?
Add a sprinkling of shredded cheese
to tops before baking.



I have several boxes of
Raisin Bran cereal that needs used up.
I thought about making muffins
and bread from the bread machine
for the freezer.


Raisin Bran Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time:
35 minutes
Servings:
12

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 cups Kellogg's Raisin Bran® cereal
  • 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil or shortenin
  • --------------------------------------
  •  
  •  
  • Raisin Bran Bread
  • for the bread machine


    ------------------------------

     12:00pm

     

    Got some Raisin Bran bread

    made up in the bread machine.

    I currently have it in the oven baking.

    I tweaked the recipe some.

    I drizzled honey across the top

    of the bread and sprinkled

    a cup of crushed raisin bran

    (minus raisins) mixed with

    about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

    over the top before baking.

     

    Before going into oven.


    ----------------------------------

     Menard's is having a 

    Memorial Day sale

    from May 18th to the 30th.

    I might see if they still have

    the propane for $2.25 each.

    Tony found us a small grill

    at his work that we can use

    on our fishing trips.

    All we need is the propane.


    ----------------------------------

     

    12:20pm


    The bread should be done in the

    next 25 minutes.  I might go lay

    down after that as my body,

    especially both hips, are aching

    to no end even with ibuprofen.

    My voice sounds horrible

    to the point Tony now calls me

    Bob, lol.  Sounds like a deep,

    raspy, man's voice. 

    12:50pm



     ----------------------------------

     8:00pm


    Starting to feel yucky again.

    Just did another go round of ibuprofen.

    We went to Kroger tonight

    to get the Oscar Mayer bologna.

    I ended up with 4 packages for free!

    I would like to go back tomorrow

    morning with mom to get another

    4 for free.  I'll be stocked up on

    bologna and hot dogs!

    .90 cents total for

    6 packages of hot dogs

    and 8 packages of bologna.


    Well all I'm heading to bed to

    watch some tv (ghost hunter night) and rest.

    My body hurts, feeling woozy, and

    shouldn't probably of eaten supper

    because my stomach is churning now.

    At least my honey got the front and side

    grass mowed tonight.  One less

    thing to worry about this weekend.





     

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment