Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

5-1-11

8:45am

Breakfast- ham, egg & cheese sandwiches.

I sliced and fried up some ham 
in a skillet with some sugar free syrup.

4 eggs- .48 cents
leftover ham- .10 cents
2 cheese slices- .20 cents
(each cut in half to make 4)
4 leftover hamburger buns- .40 cents

Total cost- $1.18 for 4
or .29 cents a sandwich.
McDonalds wants around
$2.70 for one breakfast sandwich. 
And if ya ask me it tasted much
better and was more filling
than any McDonald's breakfast sandwich!

------------------
Do you have a cheese thief in your house?
If I don't hide the cheese in our home
it will be gone within a day or two.
And with the rising costs of food 
going up we won't be able to enjoy
cheese on our food at that rate.
So here is my solution to that-
Unwrap and hide the cheese slices
in a butter or cool whip container.
The kids are none the wiser
and the cheese lasts much longer!




-------------------------------

8:56am

It appears that the neighbor
who had been in the hospital
for a week
is just returning home.
She had 60 stitches in her head
due to a brutal attack that happened
in her drive way this past week.

-----------------------------

Yesterday at kroger I found
more of the pectin in the mark down.
This time around I grabbed 
all the boxes they had.
Reg. $1.29 each.
Marked down to .79 cents each.
I now have a supply of 12 boxes
which should last 3 months 
and 1 week.
Double that to 6.5 months if Tony reduces his
pectin grape juice from 8 ounces
down to only 4 ounces daily.

------------------------------

9:00am


Well we are going to try a different
plan of attack of trying to go to
Menards today since yesterday
they were jam packed.
Gonna be heading over there soon.
I hope by getting there early on
a Sunday while people are in 
church we can get in the store.
They open at 8am I think
on Sundays.  6:30am the rest of the week.


------------------------


11:30am


Back from Menards and Henderson Rd.
Kroger to get Tony's prescription.


We got these items free-
3 yard sticks
2 painter's hats
2 small flags


Menards deals we got-


32 pack double roll toilet paper- $4.99


10 cans of black and white
spray paint- .50 cents each.
Some of the white spray paint
will be used to paint the 
shutters on the house.


24 ounce bag of cheese puffs- $2.99
large bag of Doritos- $1.99

6 pack of mission style solar lights- $4.99
Might go back and get another
set for the corner garden in the 
front yard.



And another blueberry plant- $4.98


The 2 blueberry plants and
1 raspberry plant along with
6 solar lights I consider my
Mother's Day gifts.


After reading some about
growing fruit bushes I realized
I needed a second blueberry bush
so it could pollinate one another
to produce fruit.  Raspberry bushes
are self pollinating.


At Kroger I grabbed a handful of
things to make meals for this week.

I have a ton of buns leftover from
Tony's pot luck they had.
They ended up using other buns
so I am left
with an over abundance of buns
that will not fit into my freezer.
I found a package of pork ribs
in the mark down area for $4.13.
I also got a bottle of bbq sauce.
Will make pulled pork sandwiches.


Next I got a can of no beans chili for $1.19.
Plan to mix this with some melted
velveeta cheese and top some 
tortillas ($1.99) with it to 
make nachos.  Also have some
banana peppers, sour cream
and green onions to put on top.


3 packets of country gravy
($2.10/3) for soup base.
Will use up leftover potatoes,
onions in freezer and remaining ham
chunks for a ham and potato soup.


Next is a large jar of mixed beans.
Will boil down the rest of the ham
and remove from bone for
some ham and bean soup.


A package of flour tortillas $1.19.
I have some chicken breasts in the freezer.
I plan to fry up one breast into strips
then mix in some rice and
a can of cream soup and make
burritos.  


And lastly, another package of chicken
breast from the freezer.  Wrap with
bacon slices and serve with
melted Swiss cheese on top.


----------------------------------


Well it's 12:30pm.
Need to get some groceries put away
and start on laundry.
Can't wait for the rainy weather
to clear up so I can start hanging
the clothes outside to dry.

Tony's outside working in the yard
putting down some more grass seed.
We got some baby grass growing
in the part of the front yard
that a backhoe dug up while
working across the street.

------------------------------
12:30-2:30pm
Got all the bunches of lilac that
I clipped from the bush the other
day bundled up and hanging
upside down in the basement
to dry out.



Got a couple loads of laundry
that I did this past week brought
up and getting ready to put away.

Got one load washed, dried and hung up.
Another load in the
washer & dryer.

Got Jonathan's room tidied up somewhat
because it was too the point
I couldn't get to the closet
to put clothes away.

Tony threw down some grass seed
in the backyard by the shed.
I went out and staked & roped
off the area to keep the kids 
off of it til it grows in.


Made up a batch of 
pectin grape juice.


Got my ham out with bone
and threw it in a large pot
with water.  Added some diced onion
and carrots.  I'm gonna dissect the ham
from the bone after while then divide
the ham and broth up into two pots.
One for ham & beans and one
for potato soup.
I also started an early supper.
Threw a can of no beans chili,
a 1/3 block of velveeta cheese
and a tad bit of milk into a pot
and have it warming on the stove.
I will serve this over tortilla chips
or doritos.

-----------------------------------

I checked on my concord grapevine today
to see if it would need pruning
and got a surprise.
It's half way up the fence already.
This is the most growth I've
seen from it the last couple years.
I figured it being a young plant
would take time to get established.
I haven't seen grapes yet.
Might give it a drink of miracle
grow in the near future.
Wish I could find a cheap arching trellis
for it to grow on.

I checked on my raspberry and blackberry
plants from last year that are still
in their pots.  I'm not seeing any 
new growth with them.
I'm wondering if I should toss them
or just wait and see.


I want to start planting my blueberries
and raspberry soon.  
Still on the lookout for
another blackberry if the one
I have doesn't survive.
Menards didn't have any blackberry plants.
We have a slope in the back of
the yard along the fence which
is a pain to mow.  I figured I could
plant the fruit bushes along the
fence where it slopes.
I could run wire between the posts
of the fence to give the bushes
the support they will need
once they get bigger.

------------------------------------


5:20pm


After a few hours of simmering I removed
the ham from the broth water and dissected
it removing the bone and any fat.
I got more ham than I expected.
 I whisked 3 packets of country
gravy into the ham broth.
 The soup base the ham cooked in
with carrots and onions will
be use in ham & potato soup
and ham & bean soup.
I'll divide it up tomorrow
and start making those soups.
For now it will cool
so I can put it in the fridge.


I have one child that doesn't
like carrots and one that doesn't
like onions. And even though this
soup has both I will puree the soup
mix in the food processor to finely 
chop up those vegetables to make
them barely noticeable.
This way they will still get their vitamins.
I'll then mix in the rest of the ingredients.


--------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment