Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

4-7-11

9:20am
I talk a lot about things
we do to try and improve or
update some parts of our home.
The reason for this is because
I want to show you that it doesn't
have to cost an arm and a leg to do.


This morning I got out an old mirror
I saved from a 1950's bathroom apartment rehab.
Our home was built in the 1950's so it
would be in the same era.  But I wanted
to update it some.  It used to be a gold
color and now I am applying a couple
coats of Dover White SW paint around
it.  I want to replace our plain 
rectangular mirror in the bathroom
with this mirror.  Trying to jazz up
the bathroom some.  We've already replaced
some strip lights with newer ones.
The gold paint on mirror.
After painting.
 I temporarily hung it on the
dining room wall so it wouldn't
get scuffed up.  Now you can get
a feel for the size of it.



And as much as I hate to say this
I don't think I like the cyprus
grass colored paint in the bathroom.
I should of went with my first instinct
of using a soft blue color.  So that
may be another project in the near
future.  The paint was free so
I'm not out any money.  It would
probably be around $4.00 to get
a small tub of paint from Sherwin
Williams with my discount to redo it.
I don't worry about having it match the
colors in the floor because we've talked
about replacing the floor in there
and in the kitchen some time.
I can't stand the tiled kitchen floor!


We still need to redo our bathtub.
It's lost it's shiny finished coat and
is now absorbing dirt that cannot
be cleaned off!
We got a price quote from Tony's
work because they have people come
out and refinish their tubs.
It would cost $250 or more to
have the tub done.  That's not really
in our budget.
They also have used Bathfitters.
Totally out of the question at
around $5,000!!
So I'm thinking we could do it ourselves
by sanding the tub and applying
an appliance epoxy.
It runs $4 - $5 a can.
The only problem I see is that
it takes 5 days to cure.
Can't use any water on it til then.
So may have to borrow mom's
bath til then.

-------------------------------------

10 free trees with $10 membership
to Arbor Day Foundation.
Trees are 6-12" tall and they
have a variety that you can select.




--------------------------------


Why Brand Name Gas Is Rarely Worth the Extra Money

----------------------------------

 

11:00AM


www2.nbc4i.com
Japan's northeastern coast has been rattled by a strong aftershock. The Japan meteorological agency has issued a tsunami warning for a wave of up to one meter. The warning was issued for a coastal area already ravaged by last month's tsunami.
------------------------------------

5:15pm

As of 4-21 of this month
I will change my cable/phone/internet
from WOW over to Insight.
I'm so tired of WOW nickle and diming
me every other month with raising
rates and crappy service.
I talked to a door to door Insight
salesman for about 30-45 minutes
this afternoon drilling him with
101 questions and getting everything
in writing that he was telling me!

drum roll please....

I am currently paying WOW
$133 a month for digital cable, 1 dvr,
phone and internet.
With Insight I will be paying
$104 a month, this is with
taxes and fees included.
I will still have my dvr, internet &
phone but I will also will get
an additional 64 digital channels, 
all HD channels, 16 channels of
Showtime and 12 channels of Encore.
And I won't have to have these
stupid digital converter boxes on
each of our tvs like Wow wants
us to use!
It will only cost $12 for installation
and to have our same phone
number transferred over to their service.
I even asked the salesman what
kind of rates to expect once
the year is up with this deal
and he told me it would only
increase by $5.  Still a lot cheaper
than WOW!
I have set up an appointment
for them to visit mom on Monday
who also has WOW.  I will be at
their house when he comes to
talk to him about getting
them a better deal.  At the moment
they are paying around $90 a month
for WOW for just cable and phone.
They were paying around $97 until
my step-dad called WOW and tried getting
a reduced rate and they only
gave him a $7 discount.
He gave me a rough estimate that
Insight could get them down to 
$60- $70 a month
saving them $20 to $30 a month.
That's a savings of $240 to $360
a year both families could
be saving on cable/phone and/or internet!!
Plus as an added bonus, which I
didn't even care if I got it or not
as I am trying to look out for 
my parents and get them cheaper rate,
I get a $25 referral check.

----------------------------


This evening we had to make
a run to Kroger to get Tony's
prescriptions refilled.
I decided to pick up enough groceries
to last us for the next week.
No coupons used.
I spent $48 on groceries including pop, milk,
eggs, snacks, all the stuff below,
along with a 500 count bottle of
Ibuprofen for $5 and a small
bottle of Alleve and Tony's 
prescriptions.


So here's some meals I came up with-


Shredded Pork Burritos-

found a marked down package of
boneless pork ribs.  Cook in the 
crock pot with some water
and beef bullion and onions.
Shred up once done and remove
and fat.  Mix with
a package of fajita flavored rice.
Roll out some canned crescent dough
and cut into 4-5 rectangular shapes.
Add pork mixture and roll up
into burritos.  Bake.
Add picante sauce and shredded
cheddar cheese to top.

--------

 Cheeseburgers with
a side of doritos-
Package of 4 hamburgers
grilled up on george foreman.
Place buns on bun warmer on
the foreman.  Add cheese slices,
lettuce, tomato & onion along
with any condiments.

--------------

Bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwiches
served with a side of doritos.


--------------


Sausage, biscuits & gravy.
Made with chopped up
maple sausage links
and 2 packages of country gravy.


-------------


Spaghetti with spaghetti sauce
and sliced up Italian sausage.
Served with a side of baked
sweet Italian bread topped
with butter, garlic powder,
parmesan and Italian seasoning.
And a side of salad.


-------------------------


Goulash-
made with macaroni & cheese,
can of diced tomatoes
and sliced up Italian sausage.
Served with bread & butter
and a side salad with homemade
croutons & fresh tomatoes.


------------------------------


9:30pm


I'm tired and heading to bed soon.
No nappy time for me tomorrow.
After the kids get on the bus tomorrow
me and mom are heading to
a church sale.  I'm getting smart
this time when attending a church
sale and bringing along my 
foldable crate on wheels.
I found this at a yard sale last year for $2.00.
Most of the time I never have
enough hands to carry everything
I find at a church sale and my hands
and arms end up going numb.
plus churches never have enough 
boxes or bags to put your things
in.  I've tried bringing my own
tote bags in but that still requires
the arm strength to carry stuff.

Then afterwards me and mom
are going to lunch at the senior
rec center and staying to
watch a gospel choir.

Tony has the on call pager this
weekend so that will be fun.
Can't do much outside the home
when he has the pager which
sucks but means more money
so have to see the good in 
having it.





No comments:

Post a Comment