Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

4-5-11





9:15am
Trying to finish painting
the trim in the hallway this morning.
The only problem I'm running into
is my carpal tunnel is making
my hands go numb and hurt.  So I have
to take more breaks than normal
to get the circulation going again.

-------------------------------------


10:10am


Got the last three doors finished
and most of the bottom trim.
Can't do anymore this morning.
Numb hands and shooting pains
clear up my arm to my elbow.


-----------------------------------
12:20pm
Mom dropped off some more
freebies from the senior rec center.
Today I got three packages
of 6 count dessert cakes
and a load of 
maple leaf white batard bread.
Don't know or never heard
of batard bread before now.
But it will go with supper tonight.
To me bread is bread.
-----------------------------------




I worry each day as we pass by a gas 
station and it continues to rise.
Earlier this year I heard it could
reach $4.00 a gallon by Summer.
But now after reading a  
Columbus Dispatch article that it is possible
to reach $5.00 a gallon!!
With rising gas prices comes rising
prices of food.  Now's the time to fill
up those freezers and pantries.
Last time gas prices rose I remember
paying $4.00 for a gallon of milk.
It's really going to put a damper
on any traveling people want to 
do.  Crimes are going to go up.
Gas drive offs are going to get worse.
Some people are going to go to 
the extreme just to survive.
I think copper thefts are going
to rise again as well.

 How much will it cost
you to fill your tank?
Gas tanks average about 15-20 gallons.
That's for mid sized vehicles.
At $4 a gallon it will cost
$60 to $80.
At $5 a gallon it will cost
$75 to $100.


At the moment $20 doesn't even 
give our Suburban a quarter tank
of gas.

We are seriously thinking
about getting rid of a car to buy
a cheap small one like a 
Geo, Golf, Cavalier,
Civic, Accord,
something good on gas.
We'll play it by ear though.
The demand for small cars
is going to make their values
go up.  Too bad Tony can't
drive a stick due to his foot
problems because that
would be more economical to drive.
If that were the case I'd be asking mom
if she would rent us her truck
since they need the extra money.


 -------------------------------------


To stretch meat around here
I try to combine it in soups
and casseroles.  It goes further
when you do that rather than serving
it by itself.  Yesterday I had a pound
of ground pork.  I used half and
mixed with a can of stir fry vegetables
and some stir fry sauce
and served over a packet of rice.
Today I will use the other 1/2 pound
of ground sausage in some spaghetti
sauce and serve with some pasta.


With the rising cost of food prices
they are pretty much forcing
Americans to eat unhealthy things
because we won't be able to
afford healthier items.


Yesterday I grabbed a couple
packages of Kroger Italian sausage
for $1.40 a package on sale.  I have seen
it as high as $1.80.  But that
was before rising gas prices.
I will have to consider stretching
that as well by only using one
sausage out of the two in the package
for a meal.  So those two packages
will go into making 4 meals.




I really recommend watching these
You Tube videos called
Great Depression Cooking with Clara!
Season 1.
Season 2.


She also has a book called
Clara's Kitchen by
Clara Cannucciari with
Christopher Cannucciari.
It can be found at the Columbus
Public Library.

--------------------------------


4:35pm


Hallway is all painted and done!
It killed my right hand to finish it.
It completely went numb to 
the point I couldn't feel the paintbrush
I was holding.


---------------------------------


Here's a neat way to recycle belts
and make them into
a woven seat for a chair.
Buckle them on the underside
of the chair.
mom's chair


-----------------------------------


6:30pm


Been wondering what I could
make with these shortcake cups
mom got me today.
Here's something I made up
with what I had on hand.

Boston Cream Cups.

I used a small box of
banana cream instant pudding
mixed with 2 cups milk.

One small box of pudding will
probably do about a dozen of these.


I filled each shortcake cup
with the thickened pudding.  
Then I melted some chocolate
in the microwave and added
about 2 teaspoons milk
and mixed together til creamy
 then spread over top
the pudding.
Chill til chocolate has hardened.




So easy a caveman can do it, lol. 

Not too shabby for something
I just threw together.


I might make some for breakfast
tomorrow morning.
They kind of remind me of
pudding filled donuts.

------------------------------

We stopped in Dollar Tree tonight.
I got some pink ribbon, 
a bunch of yellow roses
and a bunch of baby's breath
and some pink baby blocks
so I could work on the 
diaper cake tomorrow.
There's some things I want
to change on it and redo.


I also found some miniature,
plastic champagne glasses for
.50 cents a 6 pack.
I'm slowly getting ideas
for a wedding towel cake.
I figured the bottom largest
part of the cake I could use
bath towels, the middle layer
hand towels and the top layer
wash cloths.
I plan to put the towel layers
on round cardboard sheets,
plates or platters.
Then lift each layer with 4 
champagne glasses.
Just imagine this picture below
made with towels, fake roses,
lace, ribbon and each layer
held up by champagne glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment