Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

8-3-11

12:15pm

Can you believe it's 75 degrees outside?
We're supposed to have a high
of mid to upper 80's today.
I'm enjoying it at the moment.
My morning glories were still open at noon.

Last night I started draining our pool.
There's only about 3 weeks left til
school and we've been going to
my hubby's work to go swimming.
It's slowly draining through an opening
on the side of the pool about the size
of a garden hose.  Which is all good
so it doesn't flood the yard all at once.
The yard is sloped so it's all heading towards
the fence instead of sitting in one place.

I was going to work more on 
the basement today but decided
to finish a couple more loads of 
laundry instead.

---------------------------------


1:45pm


Today I started going through all the coupons
I had and cut out some.
I'm starting to get my coupon binder
back in order and ready for when back
to school starts.  During the Summer
I use some coupons but nothing major.
So when the kids go back to school
is when I'll start back up with using
much more coupons to get things
to stock my pantry with.  Right now
my pantry is looking depleted.
What I had in there lasted me a couple years
though.  


-----------------------------


Got a letter in the mail today
from the Dwight D. Eisenhowerbuilding in Washington.
It's inviting my son(s) 
to spend the Summer of 2012 to study in Australia.
Here's just a portion of the letter.


World Map


We've jokingly told the kids we were
going to send them to Summer camp.
They didn't like that too well.
Now you ought to see how fast stuff
gets done when I show them this
letter saying I could send them
to Australia next Summer, LOL.


------------------------------------


I've told y'all that my pantry was
dwindling.  Here's my pantry at the moment.
Out of the 7 Hamburger Helpers left,
we don't like 4 of them.
I haven't quite figured out a way
to use them up.


So I have been brainstorming as to 
what to make around here for supper.
Here's things I pulled from the pantry
and what I made today.
(minus the can of carrots)
 Most of the time I don't use recipes
because I have to use what I have on hand
and get creative.

I saw I had about a
quarter of a bag of flour left
and decided to make homemade noodles.
Nothing fancy, nothing rolled out,
no pasta maker used.


I made two batches of noodles.
To make one batch you need
1 cup flour,
1 egg,
teaspoon salt
and a couple tablespoons water.
I also added in some garlic powder.
Then instead of rolling out I would
pinch of a piece of dough about the size
of a large marble, squish it flat with my fingers,
then cut off little strips with scissors.

Next boil up a large pot of water
with a little salt and olive oil
and add your noodles.
I drained them just before they were done.
The reason was because they were going
to be added to soup and were going
to soak up some of the soup base
and I didn't want them to end up mushy.
While those were boiling I got out
another large pot and made up 1
packet of Liption soup secrets.
I used this mainly for the flavor 
because it had chicken broth in it
and I don't have any chicken bullion.
Once done I stirred in a can of
cream of celery soup and cut up the carrots
into smaller pieces that were in the can.


I then drained my noodles and
added it into the soups and stirred 
until coated and added a little milk
to water it down so the sauce
wasn't so thick.


I then cut up a chicken breast into
small pieces and fried up in a
little olive oil, added salt, pepper
and Mrs. Dash seasoning
and stirred it into the soup.
And here was the end result.
You wouldn't think something like
this would come out good for being
thrown together like it was.
The kids were requesting seconds!
AND a neighborhood teenager
that was over saw the pot of it on the
stove and could smell it outside.
He kept begging me for a bowl, lol.
I gave him one.  He told me he didn't like
carrots but that didn't seem to stop him
from polishing off that bowl! 
Then for dessert
we had some homemade fruit roll ups
which they loved.
The teenager said,
" You are always making something
homemade "
I got the impression his parents
didn't make meals from scratch like this.
Other teenagers were over and I shared
the homemade fruit pleather with them.
They thought that was better than
any store bought ones!
They kept asking how it was made
and I wouldn't tell them, lol.
If they had known I took canned pears
mixed with a little jello they probably would
have had a second opinion.
What they don't know won't hurt them
as long as they like it.
They all made my day :0)


-----------------------------------


8-9:00pm


Took the kids swimming this
evening at my hubby's work.
I was also able to dump a load
of stuff I had in the truck from
the basement clean out.

I've told y'all that their pool grows
vegetables around it in containers.
I was able to get this zucchini
that was hidden under some other plants.
Tony had asked me the other day
when I went to Meijer if I got him
a zucchini and I didn't.
So I picked this and said,
here's your zucchini you wanted, lol.
I see some breaded and fried
zucchini in the near future.


----------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment